Sunday, February 25, 2007

Differences

People including Americans tend to not know much about other cultures. I am no different. When I think of the Middle East I picture a place were everyone is the same, the same clothes, food, religion and traditions. I am getting better at recognizing differences, but still am not where I would like to be. Tony Horwitz discovers a difference for himself. “The first thing you notice, coming to Israel from the Arab world, is that you have left the most courteous region of the globe and entered the rudest.” This is a bit of a stereotype but a good beginning. Not all the Israelis are nasty and Arabs nice but to him there seems to be a pretty obvious distinction between the two. The Israelis have been affected by different events, ideas, customs, and problems; therefore the people will have a different disposition. ed

No comments: